Use this tag for recommendations related to online and desktop based password managers, password storage and password generators.
A password manager is a software that helps a user organize passwords and PIN codes. The software typically has a local database or a file that holds the encrypted password data for secure logon onto computers, networks, web sites and application data files.
Password managers come in different and often-combined flavors:
- Desktop - desktop/laptop software storing passwords on a computer hard drive.
- Portable - portable software storing passwords and program on a mobile device or as a portable application.
- Token - credentials are protected using a security token, thus typically offering multi-factor authentication.
- Web-based - Online password manager where passwords are viewed and copied to/from a provider's website.
- Cloud-based - Online password manager where credentials are stored on a service provider's servers on the Internet, but handled by password management software running on the client's machine.
- Stateless - Passwords are generated on the fly from a master passphrase and a tag using a key derivation function.