I work on web development, therefore, in some rare situations I need to test our site and mimic different users' environments such as internet connection. Because if the internet connection is very slow or not stable, un-noticed errors pop up (e.g. one js script loads before the other), ajax request got interrupted, validation request timeout etc.
So for that I want a program to run on Windows 7/8 (7&8 is what I use mainly) to control the speed of the internet (transmission traffic).
Some of the features that I need:
- Ability to adjust (limit) internet traffic for downloading.
Adjust traffic for the PC as a whole for all applications To be free
Recommended but not required:
- Adjust traffic (download + upload) for the whole system or for individual applications e.g. affect Firefox only, not Google Chrome.
- Monitor traffic with summary of usage (how much data application X used in time N)
- To be free (I only need this once every few month, so it's not worth it to buy a full license)
- Netlimiter but I couldn't make it work for me.
- NetBalancer but the trial has a limited functionality, therefore I couldn't test slowing down connection speed.
Most of the time I do my testing from localhost running XAMPP, so if the tool can control internal server speed that would be a big advantage.
To make this a bit more general and help fellow developers who got the same issue, you may mentioned as well a solution for other environments.
I just noticed with the new updates to Google's Chrome Developers tool - under the emulation section an option to emulate mobile device internet speed such as WIFI or 3G. More Details