I recently built a computer, and I put a 3TB hard drive in it as my main drive. I installed Windows 8.1 on it, and then found out that Windows can only use 2TB's, so I have 1Tb of storage that I cant even use. I have another hard drive (320gb) that I want to transfer Windows to, so I can use my full 3TB. I'm looking for a program that will safely copy all my data from one hard drive, to another. (Would I be able to just copy/paste the contents from my C: drive to my other hdd? Or would that cause problems?)

What I need is:

  • Able to copy/move Windows 8.1 and all my programs/files to another hard drive
  • 100% reliable (I dont want any corrupted or lost files)
  • Will be able to boot from the new drive after, and have it exactly like it was
  • Free
  • Thats probably not right. If you have UEFI you should be able to boot with and use the whole drive. Commented Jul 28, 2014 at 7:06
  • 1
    The 2TB limitation is due to the MBR partition scheme. If you partition the drive using GPT, you can use the full size. However, as @JourneymanGeek suggested, Windows can only be installed on a GPT disk if and only if it's installed in UEFI mode. (Similarly for MBR and BIOS.) As you built your computer "recently", the motherboard should definitely support UEFI.
    – ntoskrnl
    Commented Jul 28, 2014 at 16:43

2 Answers 2


You can use EaseUS Todo Backup:

enter image description here

Non gratis solutions: Acronis True Image and Paragon Hard Disk Manager.


Here is another alternative cloning software which is free and can do things you asked: CloneZilla.

You can make a bootable CD or USB Flash drive, boot into it and clone one drive to another one. All your original files will be transferred over. Then disconnect your old drive and boot with your new one.

You will need to use "device to device" cloning option in your case.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.