I am growing concerned with the volume of likely state-sponsored malware and related attacks1.
I am worried that many nations have legislation allowing them to issue orders or otherwise compromise private endeavor2 and often suppress discussion of these orders with gag orders.3
I am starting to consider the provenance and integrity of my virus scanner to be important.
I would like a virus scanner that:
- Has an engine that is routinely scrutinized, and
- Has virus definition data that is routinely scrutinized.
I would consider these conditions met if:
- The above components are published Open Source, or
- Are scrutinized by a trusted digital rights organization like EFF or ORG.
Additional features required:
- Support for the Windows operating system.
- Choice of real-time, on-demand or scheduled scanning
- Performance characteristics that compare with traditional commercial offerings
- Detection characteristics that compare with traditional commercial offerings