I'm currently experimenting with the world of building GUI Based Desktop applications.
I have no prior experience in GUI & interface development (other then some HTML/CSS/JS experience).
However, I have now shifted my interest towards making GUI Based Desktop Applications but was wondering what were the best tools for the job. More specifically, what are the best languages and libraries currently available to build GUI Based Desktop Applications.
Here is a list of criteria (most important to least important):
- Cross-platform. This means maintaining one code base (same language & framework) for all platforms (mainly Windows and macOS)
- Native code capabilities (OS-specific features, reading and writing to files etc.)
- Good looking and customizable UI
- Packaging and distribution (ex. for commercial use) is possible. This means once packaged, users can just install the app and run it.
- Good Performance and not too resource-intensive
- Good docs.
I'd like to point out I'm ready to learn a new language and/or library to achieve this task.