Given the fact that Hangouts is all set to stop being a consumer-friendly messenger application in favor focusing on business / corporate settings, I was wondering if someone could recommend an alternative with the following features that Hangouts has and I love:
1. Cross-platform: I want to be able to send and receive messages -- Text, emoji, pictures and video. Stickers too, preferably, but not a must -- from my (Android) phone, or my (Windows) computer.
I also want to be able to make and receive audio and video calls on any device, made from any device.
2. Auto-Start: I want the Windows client to run at startup and stay in the background.
Hangouts depended on Chrome to do this as it was an official App on the store, which I didn't really like because having even one process of Chrome on my computer chews up my memory, so I would like it if the alternative was an independent software.
3. Chat-head: I also want the Windows client to have a chat-head feature, or at least something close to it. Something that'll stay on the screen all the time, always on top, tucked neatly away into some corner, with popups whenever I get a message. And when I click on it, it opens a chat window right there, which I can minimize back into a chat-head, or have it auto-hide, when I get back to my work. Here's an image of what I mean: The UI has changed a lot since, but you get the idea.
4. Lightweight: Another important thing is that, ideally, the Windows client will be fairly lightweight. Like I mentioned above, Hangouts was was pretty system-taxing to run, and I really don't want another application sharing that trait, but I do understand that the features I want would be hard to implement while still keeping the software "light".
5. Push Notifications: I want the Android app to get instant push notifications. This is probably unnecessary specifically state for I imagine most apps nowadays of this sort use Push by default, but I just wanted to make sure.
6. History: I want all messages (ideally including the media, but not a strict must) to be stored in history indefinitely, preferably with a search feature through some means, so I can go back and read through old messages. It would be fantastic if I could make/download backups of the history for myself, to keep the messages/memories even more secure through my own cloud backups.
These are all the things I can think of right now. Really appreciate any and all help!