Google Code's downloads feature allowed open source project maintainers to upload binary files at no cost, either:
- using the web interface, or
- using an API, which is very convenient to integrate in build script.
PROBLEM: This downloads feature has been retired on January 15, 2014.
Is there an alternative?
- Upload file via API
- Anyone can download from direct URL, no delay nor advertisement/registration step
- URL is short (length of your project name + length of your file name + 50 characters max)
- Website usable by smartphone
- Domain that sounds friendly to the Open Source community. For instance, "gnu.org" or "gitcentral.net" would be better than "warez.biz"
- Shows how many times each file has been downloaded, more statistics welcome
- Ability to add "categories" to releases and give URL that filter on categories, for instance
Please download the latest at http://g.org/aegif/CmisSync/downloads?stable+macwhere
SourceForge and CodePlex have downloads, but hide them behind delay/advertisement.
Bitbucket has no advertisements, but no API to upload files.
Github has an API, but does not show download statistics.
Google Drive has awfully long/opaque URLs, and they are not even direct.