I have thousands of meme images. Unfortunately, unorganized. Whenever I could need a specific image, it’s nearly impossible to locate it. Now I want to organize my collection by manually adding metadata for each image.
I want a single tool that focuses on
- searching for indexed images, and
- editing the metadata of an image.
I know that many image editors offer both of these features, but then it’s often only a secondary feature, e.g., "hidden" in a sub-menu or something like that. The tool I’m looking for should, at best, let me search for images directly after starting it.
- The tool MUST be Free/Libre Open Source Software.
The tool MUST run natively on GNU/Linux (whether as a desktop client, or as a web-application).
The tool SHOULD support these image formats: PNG, JPG, GIF (animated).
- It MUST support at least one of these formats.
- The tool MUST NOT save the metadata in the image’s file name.
- The tool MAY save the metadata in the image.
- If that’s the case, then the tool MUST use a standardized metadata format (e.g., XMP).
- MUST: I need several fields (like "Language", "Visible text", "Category", "Keywords"). The tool should either allow me to define name-value pairs separately for each image, or I define the names globally and only fill in the values for each image.
- MUST: A simple full text search, which always searches over all fields, is not enough.
- It SHOULD allow me to search in selected fields only.
- It SHOULD offer boolean search operators (like
NOT) and phrase search (
It would be really great (but not required) if the tool came with some kind of browser for drill-down or faceted navigation, so that you can find images by clicking instead of having to know&type the search terms. For example, it could use the "Keywords" field and separate its values on commas, and then use them as "tags".