I have a Windows 7 machine.
I want to capture and save the logs, of all TCP/IP packets that pass through my network adapter. And i would like to use, if possible, a 'fully portable' application, also if it's a paid licensed.
TcpWiew seems to me good, but it don't have the possibility to save the log of entries (it can save a log only clicking 'save', but seems to me that there is not the 'automated logs save function').
I saw there is a portable edition of Wireshark. I've downloaded, but to use it, it need the installation of NpCap, and i don't like so much the idea of install that software. So i was unable to check if Wireshark can automatically save the logs.
I saw also Nirsoft SmartSniff. Reading the description of this software, it provides 3 methods for capturing TCP/IP packets:
- Raw Sockets - But this method have some limitations and problems.
- WinPcap Capture Driver - But i should install WinPcap (and it's the same as NpCap for Wireshark), and it seems to me don't work in Windows 7.
- Microsoft Network Monitor Driver 3 - This method use the Microsoft Network Monitor Driver 3.x and should be already installed in the o.s., or can be downloaded from Microsoft directly.
So i think i understood that, to work correctly, a Network Monitor, should use libraries (NpCap, WinPcap, Microsoft Network Monitor Driver 3.x ...).
And if i have to install some libraries, i would prefer the Microsoft ones.
So i'm searching for a Network Monitoring program, that:
- can record all TCP/IP activities (it doesn't matter the content, but it's necessary the protocol used, the port and the remote address).
- is portable.
- it don't uses libraries, or it uses Microsoft libraries.
- can automatically save logs (so later, i can check all records).
- It doesn't matter if it's free or paid licensed.
Any suggestion? or tips, if i have mistake something in my considerations?
P.S. Does someone know about System Informer? it seems good, ...But not sure if can automatically save logs, ...And seems to me not portable...