What I need is a chat app with the following features:
- Has end-to-end encryption.
- No mandatory monthly / licensing fees. In other words: a free public service.
- Mobile app supporting both Android and iPhone platforms.
- Group chats that are easy to manage (add/remove contacts to/from), join/rejoin and persistent. This latter means the opposite of how Skype for Business handles group chats - a person should be able to get back to an estabilished group chat five minutes after purchasing a new phone and installing the app.
- Ease of use.
- Option to mute conversations (no notifications) is nice to have.
- Supporting a web platform is nice to have.
- VoIP / conference calls are not really required, just nice to have.