I am looking for any application that can change the volume of a specific tab of a web browser.

I do know a Chrome extension that can completely mute a tab but do not know anything that changes the volume of it.

  • You're unlikely to be able to intercept the audio stream before it leaves the app. Even the most sophisticated apps which can intercept at any point along the audio chain can't do that. e.g Audio Hijack or Loopback
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Feb 2, 2023 at 7:26
  • @Tetsujin: A Chrome extension lives inside the app, though, so it might be possible?
    – Nicolas Raoul
    Commented Feb 2, 2023 at 10:23
  • @NicolasRaoul - it might be, I suppose, depending on how it's constructed internally. On Safari you can mute audio in one or more single tabs natively - i.sstatic.net/Pogtw.jpg - but any intercept of the audio stream can only be done as it exits the app.
    – Tetsujin
    Commented Feb 2, 2023 at 10:36

2 Answers 2


There are a lot of extensions like that for many browsers and they're very easy to find if you just google e.g. "Chrome tab volume". In Chrome I'm using Volume Master which is the 1st result. In Opera it's e.g. Volume up.


If you are on Ubuntu Linux, you can do so on the Operating System level. In Settings/Sound/Volume Levels, all tabs of browsers (with active sound playback) have their individual sound level. You can also completely mute a tab from there.

Sound volume of browser tabs

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.