I am looking for software - preferably freeware or open source - for either Windows or Linux that allows me to type in a phrase, and have that phrase simultaneously previewed for a batch of around 300 fonts in large or exported to PNG images.
What is commonly available from a Google search or common programs:
- Most word processing software allows a font preview without the ability to specify that text - manually changing the font of some template text doesn't allow a side-by-side comparison and is tiredsome.
- Various font management software exists that allows custom text to be previewed for all (or selected) system fonts but in a manner where only a few are visible on the screen requiring scrolling which eliminates the ability to compare.
- Font download websites offer preview text but around a third of these fonts aren't on those websites.
I am not after the above.
What I need:
- A free (ideally) solution that allows me to type (or specify in a script) a phrase that becomes previewed for all fonts on the system or specified folder in large font size (2-3 fonts visible per page) or software which produces preview images of one font per image.
- Preferably, software which allows unsatisfactory fonts to be eliminated from the comparison (could include hiding of collapse feature) - in case of preview images I can delete from folder manually as I review.
- Ideally, auto size of fonts to fill the space as there will be great variation between heights and widths even with the same numeric font size.
- Something as close to this as possible
A scripting solution (windows or linux) without the need of a server would be adequate too.
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.