I’m running a business together with two partners. Everyone of us may answer emails sent to the general support email address. But our current workflow is not optimal.
Our current workflow
Everyone of us is using a local email client with two IMAP mailboxes: the support account and a personal account.
- A new email arrives at
email@example.com, asking for support.
- This email gets automatically forwarded to each of our personal mailboxes (
firstname.lastname@example.org, …) (to prevent that someone marks the email as read and the others don’t notice it)
- We have to co-ordinate who of us will answer it (to prevent that more than one answer is sent).
- One of us answers it (currently from his personal account).
Problems with this workflow
- Step 3 is cumbersome and takes too much time.
- Step 4: Everyone of us should be able to see/review all support emails, including answers (which are currently sent only to the personal account of one of us).
What we would like instead
- A system that shows & archives all support mails (sent + received), where all emails about the same topic should be grouped somehow.
- The ability to flag a new email somehow, indicating that the flagger is about to answer it.
- It would be nice if we could answer mails right from this system.
- Free/Libre Open Source Software
- If the solution is for desktops: it needs to be available cross-plattform (GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows)
- If the solution is for servers: it needs to run on GNU/Linux
- We are not in local network, so it needs to work over the Internet.