Expanding on several questions asked 10 years ago on Stack Overflow, I'd like to elaborate what's the best CSV Viewer Editor in 2021.
What makes a good viewer (for me):
- Displays CSV in Grid view, not as plain text (as it would be in Notepad++)
- Has CSV centric features, like skipping the first x rows, define headers, etc.
- Allows editing of the file
- Allows advanced searching and find / replace
- Bonus: Allows advanced editing like column splitting, date / locale transformations, filters, ...
- Saves the CSV without additional whitespace
- Handles different codecs well (UTF-8, ANSI, ISO, different line endings, etc) and allows conversion
- Is open source!
- Runs on Windows (for me) or is cross-platform
- Probably more, feel free to suggest features.
Software I have looked into:
- CSVed (powerful, but really slow and old)
- "Edit CSV" Plugin for VS Code (nice, but sometimes a bit notchy)
- Excel (urgs)