Too many times I find myself googling "Unicode " to find a Unicode character suitable for my needs. I'm now trying to replace that silly procedure with something more reproducible and reliable, so I'm looking for a Unicode character picker that works offline on Windows.
- pick Unicode characters by scrolling through them
- support typing descriptive names like "cross" or "box"
- works offline, i.e. locally installs its own Unicode database
- works on Windows
- is gratis
- no ads; donation button is acceptable
- Regions like "math symbols", "greek" or similar as in Microsoft Word.
- LaTeX support, e.g. search for "alpha", find lower case α and upper case Α, Latex
- Win+., but it's too focused on Emojis
- builtin Windows tool
charmap, but it can scroll only. Searching by descriptive name is not possible
- Microsoft Word symbol table, but it can scroll only. Searching by descriptive name is not possible. At least is has regions like "math".
- this question is almost identical but for Linux. In addition, I don't necessarily need LaTeX support, although it would really be nice.
- Lintalist as suggested here, but it does too much. I prefer a dedicated tool.
- the R12A Unicode pickers are all online