I have been using Jarte Plus as my go-to text editor / word processor to create and edit simple documents. I like that it's a portable application, very fast to load, and has a small memory footprint. It supports RTF documents as well as basic tables.
Unfortunately, it's based on the native Windows rich text control, which is known to be quite buggy (which I can confirm!). Jarte is also no longer under development, and its source code has not been made open by the developer.
So I'm seeking recommendations for a new go-to text editor / word processor.
The documents I will be writing with this application will typically be 1-20 pages long, and do not require advanced features like headers/footers/footnotes/forms/indices.
Here are the requirements:
- Very fast to open with a low memory footprint (so LibreOffice/OpenOffce Writer and Electron applications are not options)
- Support basic tables (add/remove/resize columns and rows)
- Support changing foreground color of text entered (red text, green text, et. al.)
- Support bold and italicized text
- Have a dark mode / dark theme which makes the application's UI dark as well as the page on which you are writing
- Compatible with Windows 7-10
- Must not rely on Microsoft's rich text control (or has functionality to overcome its bugs!)
Preferences (not requirements):
- Portable (no writing to registry or files outside of its folders)
- Gratis (all prices considered)
- Support RTF format