I've been looking for an Android contacts manager with some basic features, and I've been surprised by how hard it has been to find one.
- Has its own dark theme/mode (does not rely on Android).
- Is reliable. No frequent crashes.
- Does not require the internet or attempt to make internet connections.
- Has a way to use one finger to quickly scroll to all names that begin with a desired letter.
- Sorts properly when sorting by first name field.
- No ads.
- Does not require root privileges.
That's it. Sounds pretty basic, but so far I haven't found anything that meets those simple requirements.
Optional preferences (none are requirements):
- Has a tile mode for favorite/frequent contacts.
- No extra elements cluttering the UI for WhatsApp, Google products, or other junk.
If it is not gratis, any price is fine as long as it is a 1-time cost, and not a subscription.
What I've already tried:
Contacts, Dialer and Phone by Facetocall- Does not meet requirements #1 and #3. Sketchy app behaviour.
Dialer, Phone, Call Block & Contacts by Simpler- Does not meet requirement #3. Very sketchy app behaviour.
Next.Phone With Dialer, InCallUI, Contacts- Does not meet requirement #1. No new releases for over a year, so unlikely to change. Besides not meeting requirement #1, looks good and performs well..
OpenContacts- Does not currently meet requirements #4 and #5. Great idea, but very buggy.
Simple Contacts- Does not currently meet requirement #2. Crashes when scrolling.
Simple Dialer- Does not currently meet requirement #2. Crashes when scrolling.