I am developing a Windows desktop application (.exe) for billing and inventory management using NetBeans. The application will run on multiple systems (10 - 12 on average), all connected in a wired or wireless LAN and not connected to the internet. All applications on the different computers will communicate to a single common database that is also in the LAN (and not connected to the internet). Since it is a billing application we can expect concurrent read/write operations from many instances at a given time.
I am looking for a good database service that I can use for the above mentioned requirement. The needs-analysis is given below:
- The database will be used by a retail shopkeeper that use the application to generate bills/invoices and maintain inventory.
- The modification of data or updation of the database will happen continuously, probably for tens of thousands of times a day.
- The direct user ie. the retail shopkeeper do not know anything about databases or softwares in general. The IT support will be taken care of by me.
- The computers are basic windows 2007 or earlier systems with not-so-high hardware specs. They will also be NOT connected to the internet.
- The database should be able to manage concurrent read/write operations without delay, errors or loss of data.
- There should be a good level of security of the data in the database.
- Preferably a database that is free or at least is not so expensive.
Please help me with suggestions of database that I can use in this scenario. Thanks in advance.
P.S.: I am a novice developer, sorry for any half-baked or unclear information.