I've been wanting to start a forum for writing stories for some time now. This week I have been looking at various forum softwares deciding which will ultimately provide the features I'm looking for. No single piece of software will meet all my needs as far as I can tell, so I'll have to develop (or contract out) plugins. That being said I have some questions for anyone that might know:
I love the look, style, and organization of F95Zone.to. When I think of what I would like, many of the feature ideas come from elements I've seen there. I can't seem to figure out what forum software it's using, however. If I were to guess, it's PHPBB, but honestly I would not know how to confirm this. It would be valuable because it gives me an idea of what's possible with the software.
Key features I need are these:
- Rating of posts in certain forums (i.e. only able to rate stories) I really like the review tab F95Zone has for it's games. That would be incredible on a story forum.
- Tagging system with search (stories only). Ideally only admins could make tags, but users could apply from the predefined list.
- Only Authors can post in the stories forums.
- Disable quoting initial post.
- I would like to make it so users can't quote a story, because lets face it, some yahoos will and that makes the comment section crazy bloated.
- Post templates for specific forums to simplify making news posts providing clarity of what's required.
- Advanced formatting of posts for stories: I want the stories to be novel formatted only on story forums:
- All text Justified like novels in story forums
- First line of every paragraph indented
- Patreon links on Author profiles so they can gain support for their writing.
This is what I have mapped out so far. Please, if you have any insight, I'd love to hear it.