We are currently looking for a 3rd party task scheduler software that can help us manage jobs (mainly calls to exe files, like Windows Task Scheduler) with an easy to use GUI. We have a moderately complex flow tasks that need to be performed in the right order, and errors reported as fast as possible if any task fails, and the whole flow must be stopped and later restarted from the point of failure after the issue is dealt with.
The tasks are basically calls to executable (exe) files and possibly scripts, but also it would be great to have built-in tasks for error reporting (directly to Application Insights, or just plain REST API, and e-mail). The main thing though, is a robust and configurable task scheduler.
Software has to be robust, flexible and not so hard to configure. The flow it will manage is critical to our business.
Feature we are looking for:
- Error reporting (via a web API and also e-mail)
- If task takes too long, or does not start at all, or crashes
- Ability to read error/crash data and attach it to report
- Ability to restart process if it fails
- Flow management (first do X, then do Y, and finally send a report)
- Atomic operations (Don't start second job if first did not succeed)
- Possibility to prevent overlapping tasks
- Simple and easy to use Web GUI
- No programming skills required
We will be running this software on a Windows server.