I am looking for software to write a quite big and complex book. Something like a good IDE for writing.
It is ok if it is not very user-friendly/simple. I prefer to make my own choices, instead of using opinionated software.
It is it ok if the purpose of the software is not for writing, it should just get the jobs done.
Must have features
- version control system
- export content to a text document, like .doc or .ods. .pdf does not suffice.
- endless nesting of content (like chapters etc)
- if not running on a server, must run on Linux
- included (or integrable) project management software
Nice to have features
- add custom metadata (like tags/categories)
- write summaries for content
- notes for content
- run statistics on metadata OR/AND export metadata
- if it does not run in the browser spell checking for german would be nice.
- editors: markdown preferred
- can run on a server / in the cloud
Software I have ruled out so far:
- Writing software like Libre Office. The book is getting too complex, to organize the content...
- Bibisco: no nesting of chapters. No custom metadata
- Bookstack: the same reason
- Scrivener: in Linux version very buggy