At the office I share a space with three people. We have a very decent set of speakers, and each day whomever comes in first switches the speakers' cable to his computer. This person runs Spotify on his own PC and controls the music for the day, for better and for worse.
What I'd prefer though is that we hook up the speaker set to a fourth PC. This PC would run Spotify and play music, and we'd all be able to change what's playing from our own PC, possibly also from our mobile devices.
In summary, I'm looking for (a combination of) software that:
…the ability to have Spotify on one machine be controlled directly (as in: no Remote Desktop or similar solution, but an app on my PC, or a web interface) by several other PCs, specifically:
- Change the volume either of Spotify or the remote PC itself;
- Use the controls like stop/pause/play/next/previous;
- Change the play queue (add/remove single/multiple songs or albums) from other PCs;
- Browse and search the available Spotify songs;
- Browse (public) playlists from users (our own accounts, mostly);
- Fast UX: all this is preferably not noticeably slower than using Spotify on your own PC;
- Good UX: it must be on par with using Spotify directly;
- Gratis (or failing that, at least cheap): I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks on this but not much more / preferably not as it's just a convenience thing. (To clarify, "Gratis" is a "Should-Have", and "Cheap" is a "Must-Have".)
All PCs will be running Windows 8.1 or up so the software must work on those OSes.
Nice to have…
…in order of importance:
- As many of the above "must haves" as possible controlled from Android devices;
- Basic features "readily" available on our own desktops (e.g. basic controls via task bar tray icon, or keyboard shortcuts);
- Ability to start artist radios;
- Ability to sign in a Spotify user remotely; (this is bottom of the list, as I'm totally fine with having one of us Remote Desktop to the other PC once a day to log in to Spotify)
- As many of the above "must haves" as possible controlled from iOS and Windows Phone devices;
…is how we'd sign in a user on that fourth PC. I'm perfectly fine with RDP or a remote powershell session to sign in into Spotify at the start of the day.