I am looking for a program that can spell-check a PDF document (without having to convert the PDF into another format like .docx, which I can do using Adobe Acrobate Pro). If possible, free, compatible with Windows 7 (otherwise Linux) and also checks for the grammar.
For a free, cross platform, application you can use LibreOffice Writer - it will open pdf documents read and write them, (other than password protected documents that you don't have the password and documents from some scanners which are actually image collections), you can spell & grammar check in a wide range of languages.
- Read & Write pdf files
- Spell Check - 70 or 80 languages supported
- Grammar Check
- Language Tool Extension - can check for mixing up there/their, no/now, etc.
- Windows/Linux/Mac OSX
- Part of a full free, cross platform, office suite.
Screenshot of checking a pdf a fiend was sent:
This suite of tools adds full spell-checking capabilities to Acrobat. You can now check and mark up regular text and bookmarks in addition to the standard check for form fields and comments which already exists in Acrobat.
- Compatible with Adobe Acrobat (free or paid) on any platform
- Spell check 33 languages
- You can select which language you wish to spell check prior to checking the document
- Spell check either the whole document or just a selection
- I am unsure if it changes the incorrect words as I have not used this software myself, but it does notify you of the misspelled words and suggestions for the correct spelling. Much like spell checker on word.
- Add/remove words from dictionaries (different dictionaries for each language)
- Unfortunately, no grammar checking
Spell check menu
Highlighted words that are misspelled
Spell check zones