For a small team of system administrators and helpdesk people I'm looking for a tool to collect and combine all small tips, tricks and interesting snippets. I've had a look at FAQ software, code snippet tools and some knowledge base tools, but none of them stuck.
I'm basically looking for a tool:
- to store small text snippets, how-to's and general info
- which can be installed locally or on a local webserver (no cloud software)
- which needs next to no knowledge to use (users should be able to just dump a text snippet inside and don't care about formatting or have to jump through hoops to format/edit said snippet)
- with a full-text search (so not only tags & titles)
- which has the ability to add tags
- which is free (management doesn't want to pay for such a tool and will only allow free tools)
- which is not a wiki. We've nearly tried them all, and all flavours we tried were too complex for the editors (almost always some markup etc is needed)
Can anybody recommend such a tool? Thanks for the suggestions!
Edit: after the suggestions made by Peterh I noticed I left out two important conditions - it should be free (as in price) and not a wiki. Thanks Peterh for the suggestions though!