I don't like the default Windows 8.1 preinstalled on my uefi tablet - the UI is too counter-intuitive and I need more space on my device(I have 16GB, 1GB RAM max - Digma Eve 8.1 3G). So I wanna try some Linux OS/alternatives. What do you recommend?
Don't mention Android and RemixOS: not real full-fledged desktop OS yet.
Important features I need are:
- recovery partition/file/etc of this OS. In case i do something wrong.
- I will be using my tablet for internet browsing. Text-based browsers are inconvenient.
- For flashing Android devices, using fastboot/adb,
- or for backing up, syncing and managing photos, files on them.
I need minimum or optimal RAM consumption.
- Touchscreen input should be included and convenient enough to do at least drag'n'drop from one window into another.
- ability to have at least 3 apps running at once with my 1GB RAM limitation.
I tried Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 live version, but the available RAM was 200-300MB out of 1GB. And even having few apps opened, started freezing the UI...why can't linux just close the programs instead of freezing?
What was tried:
latest Lubuntu(32-bit) needs 2GB RAM, my tablet doesn't have it.
I've tried latest Ubuntu Mate(32-bit). And it ate ~450MB RAM without anything opened, just empty desktop; and ~6GB of HDD - you need 500+ MB for installing/delting new programs and some files. Having firefox + any other 2 apps makes it freeze and close the user session. I could replace Firefox with something more lightweight like midori.