I am a newbie Python developer but a proficient relational database developer so I don't want to use an ORM I want to use a wrapper. The main features I want are
- Same interface for multiple DBMS, hides differences, in particular mariaDB, SQLServer and SQLite.
- Handles DML (Select, Insert, Update, Delete).
- Returns result set in an efficient pagination-friendly object.
- Optionally can extend the classes involved with my own methods.
- Simple direct access to the database tables.
- Is not SQLAlchemy because it is an ORM :).
When I look there are apparently lots of wrappers but they all look old and tired, perhaps because everyone likes ORMs.
Incidentally, I am using Flask.
I am thinking that maybe Pandas dataframes may do what I need, at least for the result set?
Any advice? Should I just roll my own?