I have a few dozen PDFs, each of which are very large. Specifically:
- These PDFs total to about 15GB.
- These PDFs are primarily scanned images of textual documents, but they do contain the text data (so no need for OCR).
- I can extract the text with
pdftotextfor separate viewing. In fact, I'm currently doing so.
I need software that can do the following:
- Lets you search the contents of multiple PDFs or text files (either, not necessarily both) for a particular string. Ideally, fuzzy and regex search would be available.
- Has a GUI. It's okay if I need to preprocess data with a command-line utility, but I'm posting this on behalf of someone without those skills.
- Runs on Windows and macOS. Either a single multiplatform program or two OS-specific programs will work. Linux support would be nice too, so I can evaluate it myself, but is not required.
- Doesn't choke on literally hundreds of thousands of pages.
- There is no need to modify these documents, just to search them.