I want to compose a tracker module, but not from scratch. I have public-domain MIDI file that I want to derive my work from, but I'm struggling to find a workflow that fits these requirements:
- The program(s) must run on Linux.
- The melody and structure of an imported MIDI must be preserved.
- To clarify what I mean by this: I should be able to import my MIDI, play it without modifications, and be able to recognize the song.
- I must be able to provide my own samples as WAV files.
- I must be able to modify the imported music as I see fit.
- I must be able to export a module in any one of the major formats (IT, S3M, MOD, or XM).
- schismtracker is not an option, because the MIDI import is too buggy.
- I don't need to export back to a MIDI file.
- I'm not looking to strictly convert, I'm looking to adapt. So it's okay if I need to run my MIDI through a chain of converters, as long as the info I need is preserved.
- It's okay if these aforementioned converters are command-line programs, but they still have to run on Linux.
- I don't know much about how MIDI works; I know that it's a file format, but apparently it's an input device too? It's okay if I have to jury-rig something, but I need to know what that something should be.