I'm looking for a free program that I can use to create and document fictional family trees. It needs to either be desktop or able to run on Chrome OS. I'd prefer if I was able to give a person multiple partners, more than two parents, and add information about the family members, but these are not necessary.
I personally have found Gramps very good!
- Free, Gratis & Open Source
- Lots of very good charts
- You can embed or link to documents & images
- Multiple Views
- Add significant events
- Eight output formats are supported by Gramps: PDF, OpenDocument, HTML, Rich Text Format (RTF), Latex, and plain text.
- Builtin and Custom reports
- Multiple formats are supported by Gramps for charts and graphs: OpenDocument Draw, PDF, PostScript, and SVG.
- GEDCOM import and export.
- Active community involvement
- Multi-platform including Linux, Windows and Mac
- It seems to also be available for Chromebook, (See here).
- There is an Online Demo.
- No problems with adding multiple partners, parents or other relationships.