https://dbfront.com/ is a standalone tool that focuses on managing the "data" of a database.
- As a Software Vendor Administrator, I need to make changes to data in a way that is not yet possible in the software application.
- (For example, someone adds in "BonusField" in the database, but haven't made any changes to the custom software frontend, but would show in the separate software that I'm looking for)
- Technically illiterate users might function as the Vendor Admin.
- I don't need/want any RDBMS maintenance or admin tools, only "Data Management". The software I am looking for SHOULD NOT have schema editing tools.
- I have a database has a clear schema with primary keys, foreign keys, constraints, tables, and fields. DBFront proves that database metadata can be read to dynamically build a User Interface.
- For foreign keys, I don't want to have to manually type in ForeignKey IDs. There should be a User Interface element which makes this more convenient to lookup.
- I should be able to easily navigate through entities exploring data.
- SQL Querying would be a bonus, what's most important is CRUD - Listing, Editing Details, inserting new records, and deleting.
- It should look modern, not dated.
- Ideally, it should support postgreSQL, but that's not essential. I'm happy to start new projects with another RDBMS if an option is compelling enough. (So far this is only DbFront)
- It SHOULD NOT be software for generating code to deploy, it SHOULD be software that is configured by the database metadata during runtime. Minimal user configuration is tolerable.
- It MAY use a Grid to show rows, and allow direct editing
- It MAY show "Details" view of a record for editing
- It MAY be a web application that can be hosted alongside the primary custom developed software.
- Ideally it was have extensible support for File uploads. This might mean storing in a blob column in the database, but it would ideally save to a separate web-api endpoint which returns a reference (ID or URL) to store in a database field.
It's very difficult to Google Search for solutions to this. Usually the results are dominated by RDBMS management tools (such as pgAdmin).