I know that there is a plugin for Calibre and that Edge on Windows 10 supports this but both are not what I'm searching for.
The epub reader I search for should have:
- supported on Windows, preferably Linux too
- runs with files stored in the local filesystem without need to upload them to a store or cloud based service
- store the annotation in or next to the epub file
- cheap or even better gratis
- support highlighting of text too
Reasons for this: I store all my epubs in Dropbox and read and annotate them on several computers. When I annotated a file on one of them I want to see the same on any other computer. I don't want to be locked in by using a specific epub cloud service because in the past I annotated tens of ebooks using an iPad Kindle app and lost all of them and don't want to experience the same again