I want to compare two PDF files and show the differences.
The application must
- be gratis
- run on Windows (10 at least, 7 appreciated)
- compare the text that is contained in those PDFs
- visually highlight the changes found
I don't need
- comparison of the images contained in the PDF
I don't want
- visual comparison, such as using ImageMagick or pyPdfCompare(which were suggested in one of the linked answers)
- trials or free versions that can open PDFs limited in size, such as DiffNow (which was suggested in one of the linked answers). I have documents that are 20 MB or larger.
The PDFs in question are in general similar with respect to text. I expect only little changes. However, visual comparison is not possible, since adding a sentence may move all subsequent content to a new page.
I have tried:
- copy/pasting the text of the PDF and using a Diff-Tool like Winmerge. However, that resulted in issues with special characters such as
ßand also with line breaks. Also, in the end it's hard to find out on which page that difference is.
- the question Free PDF comparison tool, but it has been asked for OS X and I need it for Windows. I have tried some of the tools that work on Windows as well,