I found nothing with "windows accents android".

I'm looking for a Windows application that lets users type exotic characters (éà©…Éœß, etc.) à la Android:


I checked the following, but found them wanting:

Is there a Windows application that does this?

Thank you.



Ideally, I'd rather a solution that creates a brand new keyboard layout like Windows does to switch between different langugages, instead of having to use awkward multi-key combos to type a character, eg. AltGr + ' + e to get "é". I don't care if it's open- or closed-source.

At this point, it seems like the solution is to use one of the tools below:

  • Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC)
  • Portable Keyboard Layout (PKL)
  • KbdEdit
  • AutoHotKey (need to double-check)
  • 2
    There are dozens of alternative keyboards. The Neo keyboard layout is supposed to be one for as many languages as possible but basically you have to pick a target language because you are tying on a keyboard(unless I misunderstood your question and you are referring to Windows Tablets). – William Aug 19 '18 at 19:11
  • Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about that solution. Do you know of an easy way to keep my QWERTY keyboard layout for common use, and add a second layer that I could activate and would contain the exotic characters I often use? – Gulbahar Aug 19 '18 at 21:43
  • 1
    AltGr is the key used in other languages. Download microsoft creator. – William Aug 19 '18 at 21:43
  • 4
    Have you thought about giving feedback to one or more of the Open Source tools you mention on why you find it unusable to see if you & the author(s) can't come up with something better? – Steve Barnes Aug 20 '18 at 4:52
  • 1
    I wrote WinCompose for that specific purpose; can you be more specific about what it lacks? I’d be willing to add features if they fall into the scope of the software. – sam hocevar Aug 20 '18 at 7:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.