I am in need of a component to show and interact with a Marey's Chart.
For those who are not familiar, a Merey's Chart is a chart to visualize train movements in a Time x Location axis. Much like this image:
I have looked up and down but couldn't find anything out of the box to assist me (suggestions are much appreciated here). So I am considering building my own component.
My components needs to be:
- High performance - It will be showing real time data along with user interactions
- Highly interactive - The user may click around the lines, modify them by dragging, zoom, pan, remove, add, etc.
Right now I'm more inclined to a web solution, using HTML5 Canvas for performance reasons, but I do not have much experience on drawing charts in desktop applications (using JavaFX or C# Canvas) to know if they are the best options. So asking the questions:
- Do you know any lib / component that would help me to develop this? (JS, Java or C#)
- Do you see / had any performance issues in developing a web solution in this scenario-like?
- Do you think HTML5 Canvas over SVG (D3 for instance) is a good approach?
Any recommendation or comment on this I appreciate. Thanks!