I am looking for a library which will assist me in streaming audio from files on my server to a client on a separate device. (Think Spotify.)
- The audio files at the source are very large, long, and lossless.
- The audio can (in fact, probably should) be compressed before sending.
- The client does not need to store any permanent file on the other end.
- Being able to seek within the stream is a must.
- The server side could be .NET C# or .NET C++. The client is written in .NET C#.
My current plan is to use an RTS stream (actually, VoIP), but this strikes me as a less-than perfect solution because:
- The stream doesn't actually need to be real-time since the audio source is a file. The client would benefit from being able to buffer.
- Playback controls would need to be out-of-band and homebrew.
Does anybody have any suggestions for an audio-streaming library?