I have been testing Notifu for emiting balloons (traytip icons on notification area) on Windows.
It behaves all right, but I was wondering if it exists a better and more featured software or way to do this.
For example, these features could be cool:
- Links (URLs, email, file paths... etc) inside balloons.
- Colors (background and text), sounds or even images for balloons.
- Fonts definition, italics, bold, underlining... etc.
- Time-remaining specification: number of seconds, minutes, forever (until closed), show only when user is present, show at anytime, don't show on screensaver... etc.
- Queue of messages (the most difficult to find, I would say): multiple messages can be queued to be displayed (If you run a second Notifu message, it overwrites the first one, so scripting a list of notifications is mostly awkward).
Open source solutions preferred. Free or low cost preferred. Command-line capabilities encouraged (scripting messages, for programs like this one, uses to be a need), or at least some programming/scripting method (like extracting the message and its features from a file).
Desired to work on most Windows versions.
Tested until now:
- AutoHotKey programming language. Not bad, but lacks most of the above features.