I'm looking for a free (gratis) tool to create database models, i.e. ERM diagrams (entity relationship models).
- runs on Windows 10 x64
- is free (gratis)
- works offline and not in a Browser (local websites are not acceptable)
- does not use Java, because our IT does not like/allow it
- stores the diagram in a single file for easy backup purposes
- supports unlimited number of diagrams with unlimited number of tables and unlimited number of columns, because I don't know the constraints of my database yet.
- provides a GUI for graphical input, not some description language (I like those very much in general)
- multi user support, since only 1 user will use it for small database projects
- it needn't synchronize data to the cloud, backup etc. I want a single file which I can copy or delete.
- no need for importing databases or creating databases based on the model. This will all be done manually.
I have found the following potential candidates, but they don't match:
- SQLDBM, but it's online / web-based
- Squirrel, but it uses Java
- SQL Developer, but it also uses Java
- Quick Database Diagrams can only draw 1 diagram with 10 tables
- ERwin Data Modeller but it's not free, only available as a trial
Closest so far is yEd, but things like that should not happen:
I don't want to be fiddling around manipulating the sizes of objects just to make the text fit.
I found the following questions here on SR: