Sometimes I use MS Access 2017 to perform database tasks: Union, Filter, Join ...
From time to time I receive data which I need to process, these are different, short, ad-hoc tasks, I need a tool where I can quickly import data and perform my queries.
I feel I've reached it's limits, my queries based on limited size data take minutes to run. (the same data is processed in no time in Spotfire, however that's not a database tool).
I'm looking for a faster tool now, which could do it more efficiently.
- I'm familiar with SQL, use Oracle's SQL developer and MS SQL Server Management studio, however they need a connection, can't connect to local databases
- I've a bit of understanding of R, a package there might be good too
- looking the internet SQLite seemed promising, however it's good for application development, I didn't see the way how could I do easily something simple in it.
- I've also found LibreOffice / OpenOffice suggested as similar tools, but I'm not sure those would have better performance.
- 4-8 tables
- 1-10 MB each as txt files
- 10-300 k rows each
- HP EliteBook 840 G3, Intel i5-6300, 16 GB RAM
- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Office Professional Plus 2013 32 bit
what I've tried (without big improvement):
- embedding all data, adding indexes)