I am looking to determine if SketchUp Pro is the appropriate software or if there is a better solution out there for the following purposes.
I need a tool that will allow me to rapidly model 3D spaces for the purpose of very early design. On a lot of projects, we use Revit to build complex architectural models, and there are a lot of analysis tools available, but they are of limited usage until the model is reasonably far along. Very early on, I will often have rough room dimensions and layouts and would like to be able to quickly throw "blocks" together with dimensions for the purposes of calculating rooms sizes and being able to lay out equipment within those rooms.
Ideally, the software would have the following features:
- Ability to rapidly create rooms/spaces without time consuming detailing of each and every wall, etc. - Something like having rooms represented with blocks
- If room dimensions changed, the "blocks" could be resized/reshaped dynamically.
- Ability to determine surface areas of floors, ceilings, walls, etc.
- Ability to determine room volumes
- Ability to calculated shared areas of walls for adjacent rooms