I'm looking for a cost-free alternative to slack where channels can be set as "open" so people can join without having to be invited (slack has this feature but only when paying)
In other words, this is what I'm hoping to find:
- Cost-free (both the hosting and the software itself)
- Real-time text chat
- Email notifications for missed messages
- Possible to create different "channels" or "areas"
- Channels can be set to be "open" or "closed"
- Users can join open channels without being invited
Context: I'm working on a software project and the normal setup is to have an email list for slower communication and also have an IRC channel for real-time communication. What I'd like is to have everything in one place, with email notifications, and also have several channels (for developers, users, testers, etc)
Grateful for help with this!