I am looking for a software recommendation (desktop app, web app, doesn't really matter) to allow me to track vendors in general and our communications with them.
I work in a construction related field and we often specify different equipment for various applications. I would like to be able to keep track of which vendors to go to for different equipment in an easy interface as well as, possibly, the ability to share the resources with others.
My list of desired features in no particular order:
- Manage list of vendors (bonus if I can keep track of manufacturers and vendors as separate entities and link the two so I know who the distributors are for a given area.
- Maintain rating of vendors (5 stars, for example, with averaging for multiple "reviews"
- Group vendors by the products they represent (most vendors would fall into several different groups because they represent different product lines)
- Ability to assign vendors to projects so I can see whom I have communicated with on a given project easily.
- Ability to make common forms for sending to vendors (Would be useful to kick off requests for information from several vendors at once with the included information being just what the vendor would need to make equipment recommendations)
Edit: Price-wise: Ideally I would like open source software even if that meant it was in an early state still and my inputs might help shape its direction; I am looking for the software from a functional perspective and not necessarily to look beautiful and show off. With that being said, I would not be opposed to paying a nominal amount if the software filled the functionality niche that I am struggling with. I am not looking for enterprise only level software, however, where the pricing is in the thousands of dollars/year category.
Edit: If the software is a desktop app, I would be looking for it to use on Windows, though if there were a Java app that worked everywhere, that would be ideal.