Is there a simple lightweight (eats little RAM, takes little HD space) Windows desktop application that I can use, that runs just like an Android phone?
I will put my money on MEmu - Android emulator
It is highly customizable, yet lightweight with elegant features:
- Full Android experience with an elegant desktop
- Flexible customization (CPU, memory, resolution, device model, root mode, etc.)
- Mapping the keyboard/joystick to screen touch for much better game experience
- Passing through sensor data (e.g. accelerator) to Android, like Microsoft Surface.
- GPS location simulation, show up wherever you want
- File sharing between Windows and Android
- One click to create/clone Android instances
- Windows Vista/Windows 7 SP1/Windows 8.1/Windows 10
- Intel or AMD CPU (with Virtualization Technology support preferred)
- GPU with OpenGL 2.0+ support
- At least 1 GB free system memory
- At least 2 GB of free disk space under installation path
...and by the way it's absolutely FREE
Microsoft has an Emulator for Android.
I assume that by
without any virtual box you mean that it doesn't have to be run inside an emulated OS, because obviously any emulator will be virtual in some way.
Try Genymotion. It's much lighter then Android Visual Studio Emulator and it's open source.