I'm looking for a tool for record retention, with the following requirements:
[must] be installable on-site
To satisfy legal needs, no data leaves the building.
[must] provide API for upload
For integration with other products.
[must] Handle millions of documents without performance loss
So dropping everything in a Windows folder is out of the question.
- [must] Allow filtering by metadata, including metadata of other types than string, like date/time
- [must] Allow for purging of old documents
- [should] Allow encryption of stored files
- [nice to have] Access audit
- Capture: scan, OCR, OMR - because documents are electronically generated in the first place
- full text search - searching by metadata is enough
- Validation - not required because it's already done by the system this tool will be integrating with
- Distribution, other than archiving. Only a few user accounts should have access to the documents
- Workflow, versioning, collaboration - documents are generated automatically, and they're read-only
- Federated search - single archive
- Publishing & reproduction - internal use only
I know, Google should be my friend. But by googling I only learned that
- a CMS may, if configured, satisfy the requirements, but I assume a CMS is not usually designed with document archiving in mind
- a DMS like LogicalDoc, OpenKM, ContentCentral, or Alfresco should cover most of the needs out of the box, but it may be overkill
So it looks like what I need is a dumbed-down / minimal DMS built specifically for record retention. Is there a name for such a tool? Can you recommend any specific such tool, based on your own experience? Feels like I'm not using the right keyword.