I'm using Azure Blob Storage this way:
- User goes into the application and updates an image, voice, or video
- Metadata of that blob would be saved in my own database, on my own server
- The name of the file is changed to a GUID, to make it unique
- The blob itself is saved on the Azure Blob Storage, in a specified container, under a storage account, with the relevant file extension
- The GUID (file name) is also stored in my database in the corresponding record.
- For data retrieval, I return the record to the client (web,android,ios) and also inflate the return value with the complete URL to the azure storage, like:
However, now a business customer wants us to use another service, as a fail-over for Azure Blob Storage. I know that Azure is robust, but this is requirement that we store each blob on Azure, and on another service at the same time.
There are other services, like http://alternativeto.net/software/azure-storage/
Yet they seem to be for online storage of an ordinary user like Dropbox, not for programmatic upload and direct access via browsers and smartphones.
What other alternatives do we have and can we use that is like Azure Blob Storage, and gives us direct public access to files saved on it, programmatically?