I have the same setup: two Macs that I want synched.
I can totally recommend the free BitTorrent Sync. It allows you to select (multiple) folders to be synched. For each folder you get a secret key. When you enter that key on the other Computer the folders will synch.
It's a bit like Dropbox but with some major advantages:
- The file transfers are encrypted (with that secret key)
- There is no server. Synching happens when both Computers are online
- You can setup the sync to only happen locally over your LAN (not over the internet)
- It is amazingly fast. Small files are synched 'instantly'
- You can sync multiple folders
- Folder size is only limited by your hard disk capacity
For example I have have setup BitTorrent Sync to sync my Desktop, Documents and Pictures folders.
Also, BitTorrent Sync is not limited to 2 Macs. You can sync between several devices. There's even an iPhone App.
Possible drawbacks exists, though:
- BitTorrent Sync is still in Beta
- There is no server, so your Computers must both be online to sync
- There is no history like in Dropbox. When you delete a file it is gone on both devices. (Unless you have TimeMachine)