Now that Picasa is being retired, I'm looking for an alternative with the following features:
- Works on both Windows and Mac OS. (And, for bonus points, Linux.)
- Allows me to organize my images my way, in folders on my hard drive. (Most apps store your files in a proprietary database format that locks you into using that program.)
- Allows me to easily search and browse my photos, and add metadata like tags and descriptions.
- Stores as much of that metadata as possible in EXIF tags in the image (again, I don't want to lose metadata if I have to switch apps. I have currently tagged my images using Picasa, with the tag info stored in the image files themselves.)
- It'd be nice to be able to create Albums like in Picasa, but failing that, simply tagging a group of images and being able to quickly search for every image with that tag basically does the same thing.
Free or inexpensive would be a nice bonus.