I live in a 26 person housing cooperative! We are self-governed, cooperatively owned and share duties of the house. I have been appointed to streamline the process of task management and I am currently looking for software to help us automate our current system of task management.
Features we would need:
- Users should be reminded when a task is due
- Admin should be notified when a user does not complete a task We have a system whereby when people fail to do their jobs, they get strikes and those strikes can sometimes lead to extra "penance" jobs.
- It would be great if a user could have a counter which aggregated automatically when they don't complete a task, which I can override if we reach an agreement.
There are basically two kinds of tasks we need:
- The first is specific to a user's role within the house which must be done by the same person, once a week, every week. Things like "Food buyer" and "Basement cleaner" etc. These have subtasks; I will want written reports in some cases, but mostly boxes to check.
- The second kind of task is more like a work "shift." Things like washing dishes, cooking dinner and cleaning the bathrooms. Everyone has to sign up for a fixed number of shifts every "cycle". These will have subtasks which are checkboxes.
- Money is definitely a concern for us. It would be great to find something which is free, and even better to find something which is open source/extensible.
- Simple; some of the people in the coop are older generation and would have a hard time with something that has a lot of jargon.
- Mobile friendly; most people will want to read and check off tasks while they're doing them and won't be in front of a computer. Doesn't have to necessarily have an cross-platform app, although that would be nice.
I'm a full-stack web-developer, and I could probably develop something like this, but it would be time consuming and I would rather not reinvent the wheel if something like this already exists. However, if something is open source and pretty close to our needs, I could probably work from the API or modify it slightly to be a full solution.