I intend to buy a PHP source code from one company. Since i have plans to scale and improve the code afterwards it is important for me to know about software architecture. Is there some kind of a checklist or questions list before buying a source code that will help me to understand what to expect?
Not really in scope here but a few things to look for:
- The EXACT licence terms are you allowed to produce and sell your own products based on it, etc.
- The origin - you can hit big problems if it turns out you have been sold code that was, partly or fully, originally GPL or was someone elses code.
- Test Suite coverage - Should be 100%
- Portability & dependencies on specific versions of tools, OS, Libraries, etc.
- Coding Standards
- Documentation and commenting
- Mondularity & structure
- Maintenance & Support contract, if any.