- I want to organize text in columns and rows.
- I want to be able to set a fixed width for the columns.
- The rows should expand (indefinitely) to fit the text vertically.
- I want to be able to change row and column order, ideally I want to drag and drop single or multiple columns or rows to anywhere else in the document.
- Very basic formatting options (italics, bold, text color, font size) are nice but not required.
- It would be nice if the document could be exported to CSV or some other common tabular format and can import from there, but again this is not a must have.
Basically I want something that looks like this:
I am currently using Excel, but pasting text with newlines into a cell copies each new line into a new cell. I want all text to go into the same cell, no matter what kind of characters it contains. Basically I want every cell to behave like it was its own text document. Also, Excel cells have a maximum height of 409. I want there to be no limit on height. There are other things that irritate me about Excel, most having to do with functionality I don't need and that it isn't designed for text but for data.
I have used HTML, but having to type and view in different applications (e.g. text editor and browser) or different application windows is a hassle, and while re-ordering table rows works well, reordering columns is near to impossible without going mad.
Solutions can be online / browserbased or standalone. I'm on OS X, but do recommend Windows or Linux solutions for the benefit of other users. Just make sure you mention the platform(s).