Coming from experience with quite a few web blocking systems, one of the best I've seen is called K9 Web Protection. It has a quite a few features that make this program awesome.
- Backed by Blue Coat Systems, an enterprise level security company.
- Always up to date web categorizing. If you want to block games forums, questionable websites, etc. K9 is always up to date with websites and will block new ones if there in the blocking list.
- Produce reports showing activity to categories of websites
- Can't get rid of it - even if your an admin* on the PC. You can't uninstall it without authentication from a parent who set it up.
- Time restrictions
- Provides it's own search engine, up to you if you want to enforce its use
- Free for home use
Free, enterprise-class security software designed for home computers
Malware attacks are increasing exponentially every day. In fact,
August 2009 set a record with more than 56,000 documented phishing
attacks. To protect your home computer from online threats of all
kinds, you need a robust security solution that’s updated in real
With Blue Coat K9 Web Protection, you don’t have to wait for the
latest security patch or upgrade, which can leave your computer
vulnerable to new and evolving Web threats. K9 delivers the
comprehensive protection you need automatically. With K9, you get the
same advanced Web filtering technology used by enterprise and
government institutions worldwide — all with a user-friendly interface
that allows you to control Internet use in your home.
*It is extremely hard to remove and hypothetically if it did, you would know